Huddle Talk - Celtic Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The poppy.

+3
Barney Stinson
Smell the Glove
JaggySnake
7 posters

Go down

Do you wear the red poppy?

The poppy. I_vote_lcap8%The poppy. I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
The poppy. I_vote_lcap42%The poppy. I_vote_rcap 42% 
[ 5 ]
The poppy. I_vote_lcap50%The poppy. I_vote_rcap 50% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 12

NSFW The poppy.

Post by JaggySnake Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:17 am

Those who fought and died in WWI and WWII are brave heroes who deserve to be remembered fondly.

Now however, after wars for oil and what has happened in Ireland I wouldn't go near the poppy as no matter what people tell you the fund goes towards service men and women of all conflicts.

I also disagree with the clubs donation, if they are against politics in football then this should not have been done IMO, or even made public, the club could have made private donations themselves if they felt it fit to do so.

People have the right but as was said by a Channel 4 news presenter who's name skips my mind, nobody should be forced to wear a poppy.

They are now blooDstained in my eyes and always will be.
JaggySnake
JaggySnake
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

NSFW Re: The poppy.

Post by Smell the Glove Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:28 am

I personally dispise the poppy, poppy season and the people who wear poppys.

Its simple. A hero is not a person which commits war crimes, a hero is a person who gos out there way to keep peace and justice for all and we ALL know the british army are the exact opposite.

I am also dissapionted AGAIN by Celtic's actions on donating funds into the poppy movement. These actions are unacceptable for a club which was made against british oppresstion.

The club have now donated thousands into a fund of war criminals. The very same army which caused this club to be made against british tyranny.

You may aswel wrap yourselfs in a union jack celtic ya buch of fucking muppets.
Smell the Glove
Smell the Glove
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Stinson Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:34 am

The club was founded as a charity to feed the poor in the East End of Glasgow. Football was chosen as it was thought that it could unite Catholic's and Protestants in the area. In my opinion those who died in both World Wars are heroes and should be remembered. But now the poppy campaign is used for the wrong reasons, and is basically a propaganda machine for the war in the Middle East. I disagree with this.
Barney Stinson
Barney Stinson
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:17 am

JaggySnake wrote:Those who fought and died in WWI and WWII are brave heroes who deserve to be remembered fondly.

Now however, after wars for oil and what has happened in Ireland I wouldn't go near the poppy as no matter what people tell you the fund goes towards service men and women of all conflicts.

I also disagree with the clubs donation, if they are against politics in football then this should not have been done IMO, or even made public, the club could have made private donations themselves if they felt it fit to do so.

People have the right but as was said by a Channel 4 news presenter who's name skips my mind, nobody should be forced to wear a poppy.

They are now blooDstained in my eyes and always will be.

Jon Snow it was who said that Dec.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23373910-newsreader-jon-snow-rails-against-poppy-fascism.do

Is it just me or is 'Poppy Season' starting earlier?

I have nothing against anyone who wears a poppy in their own time, or who wishes to wear them at CP for whatever reason.

I, like many of you, have issues on being hypocritically and socially 'forced' into wearing one.

The poppy was originally in rememberance to those who fought in the World Wars (people including Celtic footballers, members of our family, and many Irish men and woman both republic and nationalist who played their part against military opression.)

But now, it has been hijacked by those who have claimed it to represent ALL of those who have served the British Army regime in EVERY war/conflict - go fuck yourselves!

The 'Poppy' in the media, is now becoming somewhat of a fashion statement. You could switch on your tv during November, and witness (especially female presenters) with jewel-encrysted poppies the size of a babies head attached to their left breast....................

Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kennybhoy67 Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:26 am

Couldn't care less about it.

You have to remember that most people who wear it are not making a political statement,my Mother for instance,wears it to remember what her Father went through at the hands of the Japanese...

The idea of despising someone,when you have no idea of their motivation for wearing it,seems really bitter to me..

Kennybhoy67
Reserve Squad
Reserve Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 am

Kennybhoy67 wrote:Couldn't care less about it.

You have to remember that most people who wear it are not making a political statement,my Mother for instance,wears it to remember what her Father went through at the hands of the Japanese...

The idea of despising someone,when you have no idea of their motivation for wearing it,seems really bitter to me..

I second this motion. 50

There are many older folk who fought in the world wars WITHOUT CHOICE (many of whom were ordinary men in ordinary jobs) who perhaps lost good friends and family in the conflicts. How can anyone with half a brain despise them for wearing a poppy in that regards? 43
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggySnake Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:12 am

People have the right to choose and have that respected agreed Paddy.
JaggySnake
JaggySnake
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Stinson Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:16 am

"RANGERS fans can show their support for the armed services this weekend with a special limited edition poppy shirt.

The unique light blue kit will be on sale from Saturday November 5 from the Rangers Megastore at Ibrox and on www.rangersmegastore.com.

Supporters in the Club Deck will also be able to purchase the strip on Saturday before Rangers face Dundee Utd at Ibrox in the SPL.

The Light Blues will also wear a special poppy strip against the Tannadice side and now fans can join in the celebration of Remembrance Day with a similar kit of their own.

Special edition shirts will be priced at £41.99 for an adult short sleeved version and £31.99 for junior short sleeved.

JJB sports will be donating a percentage of the sales of the special edition shirt to the Scottish Poppy Appeal meaning every purchase helps support veterans and their families."

Things like this disgust me. It's not a point scoring exercise or a fashion statement.
Barney Stinson
Barney Stinson
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggySnake Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:19 am

A percentage aye? And the top will no doubt cost more than the usual one anyway? Fucking pathetic that. Anybody who buys one can fuck off too. Trying to look better than us. Sad.
JaggySnake
JaggySnake
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Stinson Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:25 am

It says they'll cost £41.99 and I assume a normal top is £40. So £1.99 out of every top? JJB are probably making more money from it.
Barney Stinson
Barney Stinson
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:30 am

Barney Stinson wrote:"RANGERS fans can show their support for the armed services this weekend with a special limited edition poppy shirt.

The unique light blue kit will be on sale from Saturday November 5 from the Rangers Megastore at Ibrox and on www.rangersmegastore.com.

Supporters in the Club Deck will also be able to purchase the strip on Saturday before Rangers face Dundee Utd at Ibrox in the SPL.

The Light Blues will also wear a special poppy strip against the Tannadice side and now fans can join in the celebration of Remembrance Day with a similar kit of their own.

Special edition shirts will be priced at £41.99 for an adult short sleeved version and £31.99 for junior short sleeved.

JJB sports will be donating a percentage of the sales of the special edition shirt to the Scottish Poppy Appeal meaning every purchase helps support veterans and their families."

Things like this disgust me. It's not a point scoring exercise or a fashion statement.

Yes, cause that's why they're are doing it 56 56 56
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 am

JaggySnake wrote:A percentage aye? And the top will no doubt cost more than the usual one anyway? Fucking pathetic that. Anybody who buys one can fuck off too. Trying to look better than us. Sad.

So obviously this is a half-hearted dig at Celtic by saying

Dad: "Well if yur manky supporters dont want poppys on wur taps, and end up pyoor gettin poppys banned aff wur taps, we'll still get wur poppys oan wur taps........We ur the peepul!"

Son: "Aye, quite right da....fuck they fenian fuckers! Here da......wut is that wee rid flower fur anyway?"

Dad: "No sure son........but a ken the plastic paddys alang the road pyoor hate it onyway!"
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggySnake Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:57 am

It fur the queen Timmy.
JaggySnake
JaggySnake
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 am

Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:41 am

This guy has it spot on for me:

Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Assassin Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:53 am

The Poppy is representative of those who have died in all conflicts.

I sincerely do not see the angst against a symbolic image?
Quiet Assassin
Quiet Assassin
New Signing
New Signing

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Stinson Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:29 pm

You've stated elsewhere you live in Israel so I imagine you don't see the propaganda surrounding the poppy in the UK these days. To me it seems to be used as a way to whip up support for the current conflicts and not remembering the dead.
Barney Stinson
Barney Stinson
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Romulus Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:24 am

I don't wear a poppy myself but I don't judge or look down on people who do. I think most people associate the poppy with the 2 World Wars and wear it as a tribute to the men and women who died in those wars. I don't have a problem with that.

What I don't like is the despicable way some Rangers fans have tried to hijack the poppy and turn into a 'Proud to be British' thing. I also hate the way that when poppy sellers ask you if you want to buy one and you say no they look at you like something they stepped in.

I don't wear the poppy because some of the money from the poppy sales goes to ex servicemen who fought in wars that I do not agree with. But quite frankly, I have neither the time nor the inclination to stand and explain that to a poppy seller. If they want to think I'm a cunt then they'll just have to think I'm a cunt.
Romulus
Romulus
Youth Squad
Youth Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down