Huddle Talk - Celtic Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebels at CP, acceptable or unacceptable?

+4
Smell the Glove
PaddyBhoy
Padmill
Ledley
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rebels at CP?

Rebels at CP, acceptable or unacceptable?  I_vote_lcap63%Rebels at CP, acceptable or unacceptable?  I_vote_rcap 63% 
[ 5 ]
Rebels at CP, acceptable or unacceptable?  I_vote_lcap37%Rebels at CP, acceptable or unacceptable?  I_vote_rcap 37% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 8

NSFW Rebels at CP, acceptable or unacceptable?

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:02 am

Your opinion?

I believe that we shouldn't sing them AT GAMES. I have no problem with anyone singing anything in their own time, but I just don't like hearing rebels at games. Just a personal opinion.

What about you guys?
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

NSFW Re: Rebels at CP, acceptable or unacceptable?

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:04 am

If they were/are good enough for my da and the older generation, then they are certainly good enough for me.

I will sing them @ CP till the day I die.

"Where are the lads who stood with me when history was made.........."
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 am

Padmill wrote:If they were/are good enough for my da and the older generation, then they are certainly good enough for me.

Fair enough, but why at the games? Why not in the pub or out on a march or whatever?
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:08 am

Ledley wrote:
Padmill wrote:If they were/are good enough for my da and the older generation, then they are certainly good enough for me.

Fair enough, but why at the games? Why not in the pub or out on a march or whatever?

Because they have been sung at games since before I was born.,.......I'm proud to carry on that tradition, and will do so for years to come as they are not illegal, nor are they sectarian.
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PaddyBhoy Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:09 am

Trolling. definitely trolling.

Fucking hate today's generation of fans, kidding on they're offended by these songs.

If you don't like it then sit at home and watch it. They've been sung for decades.

PaddyBhoy
PaddyBhoy
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 am

I will not stop singing my Legal and non-sectarian songs, regardless of anyone's opinions.
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:12 am

Padmill wrote:
Ledley wrote:

Because they have been sung at games since before I was born.,.......I'm proud to carry on that tradition, and will do so for years to come as they are not illegal, nor are they sectarian.

I know but what is the link between Celtic games(game of football) and the rebels? I genuinely cannot see a link other than we were founded by an Irishman for Irish immagrants.

Also, discrimination and racism have been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years. Doesn't mean it should be carried on to the future.
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:13 am

PaddyBhoy wrote:Trolling. definitely trolling.

Fucking hate today's generation of fans, kidding on they're offended by these songs.

If you don't like it then sit at home and watch it. They've been sung for decades.

I'm not trolling. 50

I'm also not offended by these songs but can see why people could take offense. I just don't see the reason behind singing them at football games..
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Smell the Glove Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:14 am

Rebels are acceptable anywhere at any time at any place, all rebels are not illegal.

Rebels have been sing at celtic park for generations and I will continue to do so.

A club with a republican community from Irish roots are obviously going to sing rebel songs as it is Irish History and why Celtic was made.

Smell the Glove
Smell the Glove
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PaddyBhoy Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:14 am

Racism is wrong though, our songs aren't, so that's a shite argument tbh.
PaddyBhoy
PaddyBhoy
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 am

Smell the Glove wrote:Rebels are acceptable anywhere at any time at any place, all rebels are not illegal.

Rebels have been sing at celtic park for generations and I will continue to do so.

A club with a republican community from Irish roots are obviously going to sing rebel songs as it is Irish History and why Celtic was made.

It's not that obvious. We are a Scottish club with Irish roots, aye. Doesn't mean we have to sing rebels at every given oppertunity. Again, everyone is saying "they've been sung for years" so what?
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 am

Ledley wrote:
Padmill wrote:
Ledley wrote:

I know but what is the link between Celtic games(game of football) and the rebels? I genuinely cannot see a link other than we were founded by an Irishman for Irish immagrants.

Also, discrimination and racism have been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years. Doesn't mean it should be carried on to the future.

The only link that discrimination and racism has to the singing of rebel songs is that the Irish diaspora in Scotland over the years has been treated unfairly in both aspects (and still are to an extent), but for what reason are imo trying to link my singing of historical songs to negativity?

And to answer your question - no infact, you've already answered your own question

"I know but what is the link between Celtic games(game of football) and the rebels? I genuinely cannot see a link other than we were founded by an Irishman for Irish immagrants."
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PaddyBhoy Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 am

Racism is wrong though, our songs aren't, so that's a shite argument tbh.
PaddyBhoy
PaddyBhoy
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:17 am

Ledley wrote:
Smell the Glove wrote:Rebels are acceptable anywhere at any time at any place, all rebels are not illegal.

It's not that obvious. We are a Scottish club with Irish roots, aye. Doesn't mean we have to sing rebels at every given oppertunity. Again, everyone is saying "they've been sung for years" so what?

When do we sing rebs 'at every given opportunity'?

Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:19 am

So why can't we sing irish folk songs without any reference to the IRA?
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Smell the Glove Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:22 am

Ledley wrote:So why can't we sing irish folk songs without any reference to the IRA?

rebel songs are marielly about the IRA and its history of Ireland
Smell the Glove
Smell the Glove
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:23 am

Ledley wrote:So why can't we sing irish folk songs without any reference to the IRA?

Have you ever been to Celtic Park?

What exactly are The fields of Athenry, Let the People Sing when they are at home?
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:25 am

Padmill wrote:

What exactly are The fields of Athenry, Let the People Sing when they are at home?

What about BOTOB, Roll of Honour, Irish soldier laddie.. list goes on.
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Ledley wrote:
Padmill wrote:

What about BOTOB, Roll of Honour, Irish soldier laddie.. list goes on.

What about them? You asked why cant we sing irish songs without referece to the IRA - I gave you but two examples....so why mention the other songs?
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 am

well theres a list of songs which, imo, are not folk songs. Two songs up against 200?
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:36 am

Ledley wrote:well theres a list of songs which, imo, are not folk songs. Two songs up against 200?

200 songs? talk pish.

I gave you a minimum of two songs.

Obciously you have no knowledge into the backgrounds of most of the songs, yet continue to dispute wether they are acceptable or not?
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledley Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:38 am

Hyperbole-is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

"two up against 200."
Ledley
Ledley
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:39 am

Let me ask a question.

If it is , in some people's opinion. that songs about a RECOGNISED Irish Republican Army, then is it unacceptable for for travelling Scots fans to wear Scottish REgimental regalia (including those mimicing Black Watch - who were notorius MURDERERS of Irish republicans during the Troubles), and for English fans to masquerade in the uniforms of Knights of the realm?
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:41 am

Ledley wrote:Hyperbole-is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

"two up against 200."

Online Glaswegian Translator:

Hyperbole - is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally - or in other words, talking shite.
Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlieMulgrewCentreHalf Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:58 am

I didn't vote because quite frankyl I don't care. I sing a rebel in the house or out with my mates. But very seldom do I sing them at games. But I have no issue with them being sung at the games so I don't have an honest opinion on it 50
CharlieMulgrewCentreHalf
CharlieMulgrewCentreHalf
Reserve Squad
Reserve Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Penguin Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 am

I sing them at every game.
Mystic Penguin
Mystic Penguin
Lisbon Lion
Lisbon Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Stinson Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am

If you want to sing them, sing them, if you don't, don't. I can see the arguments from both sides, and think both have their good and bad points, but at the end of the day I don't really care much.
Barney Stinson
Barney Stinson
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Smell the Glove Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:51 pm

We have to go back in time.

Since Ireland was ever even excisted and back to the time anybody can remember doing irish history, the Irish have been under British harassment its why Ireland has its "fighting irish" name.

Ireland has ALWAYS been against britishism throughout histroy. Celtic, Hibs and Dundee united is shared history with Ireland due to British occupation for HUNDREDS of years.

Its simple, Songs are written due to british occupation and culture means. With Celtic roots of the Irish immagration we celebrate in singing rebel songs to show we are proud to be established as Celtic.

UNDER FACT! All Celtic rebel songs from Let the People sing to Flower of Scotland are not illegal, sectarian or offensive.

The only ones that "believe" these songs are offensive are british authorities while they enforcing these new bills on our support on rebel songs.

People who dont agree by singing rebel songs I dont understand to be honest as its fellow tims agreeing with pushing the bill against our supporters which is clear indecation as demanding it "unacceptable" which is really dissapionting by silencing our human right.

It seems to me that people who get offended by a rebel is a person who has NO KNOWLEDGE on WHY celtic supporters sing them.

Again as I have posted before - There is no reason why rebel songs are demed as "unacceptable" as they are not offensive, sectarian or illegal.
Smell the Glove
Smell the Glove
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Padmill Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:35 am

The singing of songs is breaking no Scottish Sovereign LAW.

It may be 'offensive' to some,but hey so is swearing at matches offensive to some.

Padmill
Padmill
Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Assassin Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:55 am

'Rebs' do not belong anywhere near Celtic Park.

They have nothing to do with the footballing aspects, and are a blight on the mostly-decent reputation of our 'supporters'.

They ARE offensive and demeaning to the non-Ira fist pumping element of our support.

Peter Lawwell AND Neil Lennon have both pleaded for the moronic chantic to cease, yet some are so intent in bringing us back into the dark ages with these pitiful 'songs'.
Quiet Assassin
Quiet Assassin
New Signing
New Signing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum